Re: Sandisk flash RAM cards on the Omnigo?

Wayne Venables (wvenable@sfu.ca)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:11:44 -0700

At 02:15 PM 4/24/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Stephen Cho <scho@chem.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>I'm using the SansDisk ATA 4Mb flash card in my OGO120. It's low power,
>>comprable to the MagicRam ATA flash cards. It's probably a little higher
>>than the SRAM cards, however power is only drawn when you read/write to the
>>card.
>
>Do you get any pause when you switch your Og on (as has been described by
>some people using SRAM cards on this list recently)?

I have a SanDisk (SunDisk) 5MB FlahsRAM card. I have not noticed any pause.

>Do I need to install any drivers on the Og before I can use a flash card?

No.

>Does the card need formatting before use?

Yes, I would assume so (mine was purchased used, already formatted)

>If I create \GEOWORKS\WORLD and \GEOWORKS\DOCUMENT on the card will Geos
>directory spanning work so that I can keep some of my files on the Og and
>some on the card?

Yes. I keep all my documents in RAM and all programs on the Flash.

>Is this information in a FAQ anywhere? I'd be willing to stick this sort
>of information together and put it up on my web site if there was a demand.

I'm the OmniGo FAQ maintainer (of a sorts). A draft of the "new" faq is
currently available at http://omnigofaq.home.ml.org. Take a look, and if
you want to contribute some more information, please E-mail me.

Later,