Re: Omnigo 100/120 software ?

Wayne Venables (wvenable@sfu.ca)
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:10:39 -0800

At 02:15 PM 2/17/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Is there any alternative to using the GOES SDK or IZL to code for the
>Omnigo ?

The current alternative is DOS. With help from Marcus Groeber I've been
able to piece together how to control power management in DOS. Whenever I
get a few free seconds (seems difficult these days) I'll piece together a
driver. With proper power management, DOS becomes a viable alternative to
GEOS.
Also, a GEOS version of a SmallTalk programming language is being
implemented for GEOS. It will be free and the source code will be
available (it is someones graduate project).

>It seems also that coding using the SDK is quite difficult &
>coupled with the fact that HP apparently will soon "dump" the OGO 100/120
>line (in favour of their CE machine), the OGO is doomed to few good native
>programs.

Fortunately, there are still people developing for Desktop GEOS with
ports to the Omnigo. Software is in the works, and most software for the
desktop does run on the Omnigo.

>I use my OGO extensively & hoped that by now, it would have
>matured into a better platform.

I agree. I purchased my Omnigo because I believed it had considerably
more potential than any other device on the market.

>The Pilot was born much later & has gained
>much more support than the OGO in the form of more productive third party
>software.

The Pilot is more popular and easier to develop for. The Omnigo is
considerably less popular and most developers come from desktop GEOS.

>I would love to write dictionary/thesaurus software, more games (eg. chess)
>and even fax software but lack the tools to do so.

The SDK is only $100. You can even view the manauls online at
www.geoworks.com. I've looked through them a bit and it seems possible to
create simple apps without too much trouble.

>I'm sure there are quite
>a few OGOers like myself who are being frustrated because they know the
>potential of their OGO 100/120 but lack the resources to tap into it.

I'm one of those!

>P.S. Does anyone have any specifications on the Bindery ? File format etc.
>I would like to create a converter for HTML to Bindery and vice-versa.

I thought the same idea when I got my Omnigo. Appearently it's not
documented, but I suppose with Marcus's geodump software and a copy of the
bindery application you could hack it out.

Later,