Re: Making Omnigo Faster

Wayne Venables (wvenable@sfu.ca)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:15:41 -0700

At 11:04 AM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote:

>One thing you can do that doesn't require messing with the hardware is to
>reboot the device now and then. This clears out the state files associated
>with each running application. Or, to avoid rebooting you can press Fn+F3 to
>exit an application you're not using. This causes the app to shutdown and
>usually not save anything to the state file.

Not to start this thread all over again, but its been proven that Fn-F3
does not delete the state file, in fact it will create one if one did not
exist for the app already. (Fn-F3 becomes a VERY handy feature when you
discover exactly what it does!)

>Adding a RAM card actually made my OmniGo turn on slower. Whenever I had my
>2MB SRAM card plugged in and I turned on the OmniGo, the screen came on and I
>couldn't interact with it for about two seconds. This seems to be a problem
>with the OmniGo. Others have not had this problem. Otherwise, all a RAM card
>does is give you more storage space. GEOS doesn't use the RAM card for more
>heap space, but rather as a disk for storing files.

The slowness seems to a function of the card. Certain brands of cards
(generally the cheaper ones) have this delay. Some cards have none, some
are as long a 4 seconds. Also this does not happen with FlashRAM cards (as
far as I know).

Later,