Re: How to ACT!?

Max Wood (maxwood@mindspring.com)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:20:50 -0600

Hi Frank,

I export from ACT using Intellilink, but I export in the ASCII mode not in
the ACT mode. This allows me to import the data into my database program
(Lotus Approach). Once in Approach I try to solve some of the problems.
With Todos, I add the telephone number and the action item I need to perform
(this is from the "re" in ACT) and change the priority numbers to coincide
with OGOs. When I export to OGO and display my todos each todo includes
contact name, contact telephone number and what I need to do (call, follow
up on lead, etc.) with each todo item (see example below). Same with
meetings, except with meetings I include the street address in the note
section of OGO. With phone records, I pare down my 1000 contacts in ACT to
about 80 I keep in OGO. Once these changes are made in the database, I
export from the database in the ASCII mode to OGO.

On the reverse trip (OGO to database to ACT) I make the necessary changes to
put all this information back into the ACT format. This way as I make
changes in OGO I can update ACT.

All of this may seem complex (it was to set up), but it takes less than five
minutes to go from ACT to database to OGO and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Example todo: Lee Davis : 1-770-239-1254 : Attend next board meet

- Max
maxwood@mindspring.com