Re: Printing from the OGO

John Justin (john@jjustin.com)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:44:29 -0800

Heikki Arppe wrote:

> What are your experiences in printing directly from the OGO?
> What kind of printing speed can be expected?

> I've tried to print to a HP Laserjet 4M+ by serial cable. At 9600 baud And uses up the batteries

The Omnigo sends a bit mapped image to the printer, that's why it is so
slow. It also doesn't format the print that appears on the screen to fit
on an 8 1/2 X 11 inch page. What you see on the screen is what you get.
My program does format any notes taken in its Notes area to fit on an 8
1/2 X 11 inch page. It takes about 5 minutes to print out a very high
density full page of data (9600), and about 45 seconds to print out an
average page of information. But it prints consistently. I am using a
Laserjet Series II: it cannot print faster than 9600.

If you initiate a print out using the Omnigo's print screen button and
then try to abort the print by resetting your printer (perhaps because
it is taking too long), you may not be able to initiate another print
until you do a soft reset of the Omnigo.

When printing, or uploading to a PC, or entering data from my desk, I
always use an AC adapter; the drain on the batteries is just too high.

I am in the process of announcing a new type of battery charger that
will quick charge (2 hours) the new NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) high
performance batteries. These batteries have more than twice the energy
density of the old NiCads.

Best,
John Justin

--
JJA Microsystems, N.Y.     1-800-765-7770
john@jjustin.com           http://www.jjustin.com