New Zoomer Rumours

Peter Merel (pete@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU)
Thu, 2 Feb 95 20:07 PST

The following was culled from comp.sys.palmtops - it was poorly titled,
so people here might have missed it. Can anyone confirm or deny?

--

Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops From: Robert.Bottomley@cdc.com Subject: Re: New HP rumors Message-ID: <D3A8p7.5Ez@cdsmail.cdc.com> Organization: Control Data Systems

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.950127222625.8386A-100000@gonzo.biop.umich.edu>, > Does anyone know anymore about the HP that is supposed to have GEOS, a > 386 and be under $300? When is it due for release?

According to PC Week, it is scheduled to be released in September. I have heard no other information about it though.

I read about a 386 GEOS PDA being made by Hyndai called Gulliver. It is supposed to be relased in May. Here is what I found:

Hyundai is building a Zoomer-class device. The product, named Gulliver, will have: 33 MHz 386 CPU Zoomer has 8 MHz 8088 1 MB RAM Same as Zoomer 4 MB ROM " 320 by 480 Screen Zoomer has 256 by 320 GEOS 2.1 New GEOS with "execute in-place" capability. Smaller kernel that can execute applications directly from the ROM. Graffiti New neat-o handwriting recognition. 2 PCMCIA Type 2 or 1 Type 3 slot Zoomer has 1 Type 2 voice recording capability digital telephony capability (no specifics given, can assume that it will allow for two-way wireless comm.) Cost < $500 Zoomer started at $700 Available May 1995