Re: Fwd: Re: quick question

Martin P Speckhardt (mspeckhardt@attmail.com)
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:15:25 +0000

I use the Pretec 12mb ATA Flash card and have had no troubles. I agreed that
it was much more cost effective than an SRAM and available in the bigger
sizes. This has allowed me to put more dos programs on board as well as to
any geoworks programs I wanted. I previously had the Magic Ram 4mb card (also
flash) but that one caused my Omnigo to hang (did not accept input)
occasionally (magic ram required a special driver). Since switching to the
Pretec (no driver required) this problem has gone away. I also did not see
much of a battery life difference (though I never tried a SRAM). I got about
350 minutes of life (using Battery Watcher) without any card and about 300
minutes with the Flash card installed (and all my datafiles residing on it).
I use Rayovac Renewal Batteries. The big advantage of putting the files there
is that a complete reboot will not wipe them out (I have had to do this
occasionally in dos mode).

Enjoy,

Marty