Re: Ogo & New Deal!

Tom Trottier (tom@act.ca)
Thu, 29 May 1997 16:55:24 +0000

On 13 May 97 at 23:45, owner-ogo-digest@lifelike.com wrote:

> From: John Justin <john@jjustin.com>
> Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 08:35:18 -0700
> Subject: Ogo & New Deal!
>
> Has anyone considered taking a position in the Omnigo 100/120
> handhelds? That is, buy the technology from HP, make some small
> modifications (possibly increased screen size, backlight, AC
> adapter/battery charger, auto backup to desktop, etc.) to the unit
> that would enhance its appeal, and go into manufacturing using HP's
> existing Omnigo tooling (and even leasing their facilities for a
> while, if possible).

Great Idea! But I would suggest some -more- improvements for the OGO
200:
- faster CPU, mebbe a RISC 80186 emulator, or a low power 386 or
486. Enough of the coffee cup!
- Built in DOS choice for DOS apps
- PC card pager app which shows pages, date, time, phone #
- Auto loading of new apps from an inserted PC card
- more memory
- PIM on the main PC should beep, etc.

> [...]
> their success will be short lived. The Pilot will never be able to
> attack the vertical markets. The WinCE machines suffer from the
> unresolvable problem of battery usage due to their risc based
> processors (they can't even use a PC card effectively without an AC
> adapter, and all the apps that will come on line will definitely
> need to run on a PC card.)
>
> The Omnigo is a lot smaller and lighter than the WinCE machines. In
> addition, I believe that Omnigo can be made to be a lot less power
> hungry than it is. It's something that needs to be looked at. Geos
> was designed from its inception to run on less powerful machines
> (like the 80186). It seems that Geos, having taken the back seat to
> Windows for years, finally came of age and found its niche in the
> handheld arena. Unfortunately, the ball was fumbled by Geoworks.
> They panicked and ran off to re-write their OS to apparently run on
> any platform (Did HP drop the Omnigo because they learned that
> Geoworks was abandoning it for a rewrite? Who knows?). I'd be
> willing to bet that it will not be as lean and mean as Geos 2.0
> presently is. What's more, a developer would have to have his head
> examined to run the risk of spending time, money, and resources
> developing for their new platform when they have the past track
> record of leaving their ISVs flat! There's much less risk in
> developing for WinCE with all the machines out there and with
> Microsoft behind it, even though it has certain shortcomings.
>
> On the other hand, there are a lot of developers out there (albeit
> dormant) that already have invested resources in Geos 2.0 that could
> pick up and write apps for Geos 2.0 at the drop of a hat.
>
> As I pointed out in another message, I have found that in selling my
> app that customers want to have the app run on a desktop as well,
> whether they need it or not, and whether it has any value to them or
> not! You cannot convince them, no matter how hard you try, and no
> matter how self contained your app is that they don't need to run it
> on their desktop! The point is that they paid $2500 for the God
> damned thing and they want to use it!
>
> New Deal and the Omnigo would be a marriage made in heaven with the
> proper marketing talent and resources behind it. It wouldn't take
> much!
>
> Also, for those die hard Win 95 and Win 3.1 users who want to run an
> Omnigo app on their desktop but resist the cluge of another OS (read
> New Deal), Geos could be run in engine mode in a DOS window! The
> user would be able to run his app without even realizing that he was
> running over Geos. Something that some of my customers do right now!
>
> I'd be willing to spearhead an effort in this direction.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Justin, MSEE, MBA
> - --
> JJA Microsystems, N.Y. 1-800-765-7770
> john@jjustin.com http://www.jjustin.com
> Fitness Tracker: the world's first exercise training software for
Thanks, Tom
Tom Trottier, tom@act.ca +1 613 594-4829 fax 594-8944
199 Holmwood Ave Ottawa ON Canada K1S 2P3