Re: Sandisk flash RAM cards on the Omnigo?

Juraj Mucko (emporion@zg.tel.hr)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:52:22 +0200

> From: Wayne Venables <wvenable@sfu.ca>
> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:37:21 -0700
> Subject: Re: Sandisk flash RAM cards on the Omnigo?
>
> At 08:05 AM 4/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >When you turn the Omnigo on and *immediately* tap at icon, is there a
> >delay before the icon reverses, thereby acknowledging your tap.
>
> Just tried it and:
>
> SunDisk 5 MB FlashRAM card, No Delay. Passed.
>
> Anybody else want to try their FlashRAM cards too?
>
> >On all the SRAM cards that I have tested except for the Epson card,
> >there is a five second delay before the icon reverses after it is
> >tapped, when the Ogo is turned on. The Epson Card has a delay of about 1
> >second (costs a ludicrous $179). The old Ace cards and Grid cards had
> >absolutely no delay, both of which are no longer available!
>
> Thanks for the information John, I'll make sure this gets into the FAQ
> somewhere.

I recently bought 4MB FlashRAM card from Pretec Electronics. They are at
http://www.pretec.com. I ordered directly from their site. Costs $89
+S&H.
!. It needs _NO_ special drivers.
2. It does _NOT_ have any delay at all.
3. It has 3.3MB space when it is formatted by Ogo Transfer utility which
creates the directory structure.
4. It takes ~60 mA when active and ~10 mA when Ogo is on but idle.

Here's the table, currents in mA. Omnigo 100.
no card SRAM Flash RAM
Premax 1MB Pretec 4MB
Off 1 1 1
Idle 70 80 80
Running 220 300 280
Writing 220 300 440

5. I'm delighted with all the space I have now. I don't take the card
out anymore. I've rearranged Omnigo desktop, I've installed GeoManager.
I've installed DOS from Geos option. I've even installed Wyndmail and
Ogo Draw allthough I haven't use them at all.

6. To add to all those battery discussions. I am currently using Varta
NiMH 1100 mAh rechargeables which last 5-8 days / 250 minutes, FlashRAM
allways inserted, rare communication.

--
Best regards
Juraj Mucko <emporion@zg.tel.hr>