Re: USR Pilot

Christopher Paradies (paradies@epfl.ch)
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:10:22 +0100

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:09:33 +0100
To: KENT NORRIS WILSON <knwilson@ouray.cudenver.edu>
From: Christopher Paradies <paradies@epfl.ch>
Subject: Re: USR Pilot
Bcc:
Hi Kent,

KENT wrote:
>Mind explaining what a "null modem adapter" is? And with these
>modems. They are battery powered, so you don't need to plug it in if your
>not by an outlet?
REPLY:
The OGO's serial port with serial cable is designed to communicate with the
DB-9 connector on the PC. A null modem adapter switches the receive (RX)
and transmit (TX) lines so that the OGO can send directly to a modem. There
have been other postings on this site that so the pin-outs so I won't go
into that here.

My WorldPort 2496 is a pocket 2400 baud modem (9600 fax) that uses a 9V
battery. The battery doesn't last very long, so I normally use the AC
adapter when at home or in a hotel, but a 9V battery is plenty for sending
and receiving mail when on the road for a few days.

>On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Christopher Paradies wrote:
>
>> Internet sites listing used pocket modems:
>>
>> >http://www.justasec.com/inventorytext.html#Multiplexors/Modem
>> 24/96 Modem $15
>>
>> >http://www2.ashmor.com/ashmor/
>> various 9600 & 2400 baud external modems < $35
>>
>> There were lots more using Alta Vista and "used modems" for the search.
>>
>> All you then need is a null modem adapter and possibly a gender changer,
>> OgCOMM or CIM for GEOS and voila you're communicating using your OGO.

>>WorldPort 2496

--- end forwarded text

Christopher Paradies, Ph.D.
internet: paradies@epfl.ch