Re: HP Link To Windows

Max Wood (maxwood@mindspring.com)
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:04:48 -0600

At 10:34 PM 02/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Max,
>
>What connectivity software do you use (if not any of HP's offerings) ? What
>PIM do you integrate your OGO to ?

I use Intellilink for Windows 3.4 and ACT 2.0 for Windows. Intellilink
supports a number of PIMs and PDAs. They also have an ASCII text option
both to and from the PIM and PDA. I actually use the ASCII option so all of
my files come from ACT to Lotus Approach (database) and then on to OGO and
vice versa. This allows me to incorporate data in OGO that you normally
would not see. As an example, my todos have the contact name, the telephone
number and a brief description of the todo. All of this as one to do item
in OGO. My meetings have the name, telephone number and directions in the
OGO address record.

>I've set up my OGO to dual boot with Interlink/InterSvr. I then back up my
>data using batch files which pkzip the ogo's contents.
>
>I however lack the ability to import data to any desktop PIM. I'd thought
>of using schedule 95, but lack the ability to export the appt.adb file via
>GDBIO.

You may want to look at Intellilink for this if you are willing to spend the
time to develop your application. Beware, you do not get much support from
Intellilink and it is a very "quirky" program.

>Does anyone have any in depth knowledge of the appointment file structure
>(or any files on the OGO for that matter...I'd asked about the Bindery
>files, but no one seems to know or wish to share that knowledge) ?
>
>At 10:36 AM 02/23/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hi Tim,
>>
>>Thanks for the report. You may have seen my negative assesment of the new
>>connectivity pack a month or so ago. I removed the program from my computer
>>and put it back in the box. I may pull it out if I ever use the OGO
>>database, but I have solved my connnectivity problems with other programs.
>>
>>I might also ad, the new connectivity pack is an Intellilink (now Puma)
>>product. The problems you described are exactly what I experienced with
>>their other products.
>>
>>Good luck.
>>

>>At 10:09 AM 02/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>>The new connectivity software is known as Link to Windows. I have
>>>been very pleased with this after some initial problems. I tried to
>>>use SyncNGo to export/import some databases. I discovered that you
>>>must have a corresponding target file on the desktop with field names,
>>>or if you are importing into the ogo, you must design an empty database
>>>with the field names you wish.
>>>
>>>I am also using the HP PIM, and have found some glitches. If you
>>>import an event (start time = end time = NONE) it does not always
>>>appear at the top of the day (before 12:00AM). I have been able to
>>>move them by deleting the time, and saving, but this is not consistent.
>>>
>>>I also saw a weird effect if I created an event that repeated daily.
>>>Sometimes it would appear with an end date < start date. Hence it
>>>would appear on every day in the calendar. I had to delete the original
>>>and re-enter for it to work.
>>>
>>>I previously commented on my success in linking directly with the SRAM
>>>card. I keep all my files in the C:\geoworks\document directory. I
>>>used a binary file editor to change all references to b:\geoworks to
>>>C:\geoworks. I used win95 explorer to search all the files for
>>>"b:\geoworks" and then went in and changed them.
>>>
>>>One last tip. Be sure the application on the ogo is closed ( Fn-F3 )
>>>or the latest file will not be accessed.
>>>
>>- Max
>>maxwood@mindspring.com
- Max
maxwood@mindspring.com