Re: Desktop management, of a sort

Wayne Venables (wvenable@sfu.ca)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 08:12:17 -0800

At 02:35 AM 1/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I imagine someone has already run across this... I installed a couple of the
>games included in the gamepack, and the installer made a new group called
>"Games." Didn't surprise me too much, but then I started wondering, can I
>move Solitaire into that group since it's a game, too, or is it stuck out
>there in the middle of my screen? and, can I rename "Games" to "Quantum
>Physics" or something else in case my boss happens by and notices it's still
>highlighted, so it must be the most recent thing I had open...?
>
>As long as I'm in icons, how would I go about rearranging them so that I
>don't have to page down to get to my most-used items? Is that something I
>have to install the dos-level editor for?
>
>Thanks - I'll look forward to hearing from anybody! Oh, and stay warm - I
>hear it's going to be winter up north soon... <grin>

The following is something that I wrote up and posted to this list, it
explains how to customize your home screen. I presently have everything on
one screen (so I don't need to page down) with one extra group called utils
where I put the stop watch and world time (I also deleted the "demo"). The
instructions are bit complex, and you need a good text editor on your Omnigo
to do it (OgText works best). Those groups are simply subdirectories off
the "world" directory. Good luck.

Customizing your Omnigo
-----------------------

Please backup all data before attempting any of these operations. It is
also recommended
that you obtain and install a DOS mode driver for the Omnigo (so that you
are not locked out
of the machine if anything goes wrong). If you become locked out of your
Omnigo after any
of these procedures, Press 'C' during startup to return your Omnigo to its
orginal state (warning
this causes all data to be lost).

---

Q. How do I change which programs are run by those Icons on the outside of my screen?

A. Add a section into your GEOS.INI as follows:

[hardIconBar] app0 = Home Screen app1 = Appt Book app2 = Phone Book app3 = Note pad app4 = Data base app5 = Jotter app6 = Finance app7 = Spread sheet app8 = Calc

You can then change any one of these to point to any file. For example you can make the finance button launch pocket quicken by making:

app6 = Pocket Quicken

Q. How do I remove programs from the Home Screen which I don't use?

A. By default, GEOS is configured to look on the SYS: drive for programs and documents and then look in your B: and C: drives. By editing your GEOS.INI and NET.INI you can make GEOS ignore the programs on the SYS: drive.

1) Use File Manager, Omnicom or DOS to copy NET.INI from the A:\GEOWORKS directory to B:\GEOWORKS

2) Use File Manager to do the following:

A) Create a directory off of the world directory called APPS B) Select all the files in the World directory.

C) Select Copy from the EDIT menu

D) Open the Apps directory and select Paste a Copy from the EDIT memu

This should copy all the files from the World directory into the World\Apps directory. 2) Use File Manager, Omnicom or DOS to copy GEOS.INI to GEOS.NEW.

3) Use File Manager, Omnicom or DOS to copy GEOS.INI to GEOS.BAK.

4) Using Text Editor or OgText, edit the GEOS.NEW file:

Change: [paths] ini = A:\GEOWORKS\NET.INI

to: [paths] ini = B:\GEOWORKS\NET.INI

5) Using Text Editor or OgText, edit the NET.INI file:

Change: [paths] top = SYS:\

to: [paths] top = B:\GEOWORKS userdata = SYS:\USERDATA system = SYS:\SYSTEM

6) Using Text Editor or OgText, edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Change: cd \geoworks geos

to: cd \geoworks copy \geoworks\GEOS.NEW \geoworks\GEOS.INI geos

Note: FN-2 is the '\' key Note: If you are using DOS mode on the Omnigo, you can copy the file from DOS instead of editing your Autoexec.bat

7) Reboot your Omnigo (Shift-On-Next)

When GEOS is finished loading you should see nothing in your Home Screen except the Apps directory and any programs which you have installed there.

8) Use File Manager to selectively move the files you want to from the World\Apps directory to the World directory.

And that's it, you're done. You now have complete control over all the ROM apps. You can move them, rename them, delete them and even place them in Subfolders. If you are finished with the Apps directory, you can delete it.

---

I'm presently working on even more ways to get the most out of the Omnigo, I'll be keeping everyone posted on whats cool.