Re: Floppy wanted

David B. Reiser (reiserdb@ttown.apci.com)
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Jeff wrote:

> Hey gang...
>
> I'm still on the lookout for anyone selling the standard Ultralite floppy
> drive monstrosity for a reasonable price.
>
> I'm also curious about the type of parallel port this device has. What
> type of connection does it use? (pin# and gender)
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff

I'd have to check to make sure, but maybe the comments will jog someone
else's memory -- The parallel port is the first 20 or 24 pins of a
centronics 36 pin spec (well, not exactly -- the top and bottom pads on
the connector line up in the same locations as they would on an 18 pair
connector, but the numbers change because there are only 10 or 12
pairs...). The connector itself is just a card edge. I did make a cable
for this thing at one point with an IDC connector and a trimmed centronics
ribbon cable, but I cannot remember testing it on my printer. I don't
print often anyway, and it has been a couple years since I've kept the UL
charged.

Dave Reiser
reiserdb@ttown.apci.com (I don't speak for my employer.)