Re: Battery...

Brian Smithson (brian@piano.grot.starconn.com)
Tue, 28 Sep 1993 08:29:35 -0700

One could argue (OK, several have argued) that NEC is just covering themselves
against legal or public relations problems. I think that they've gone
quite a bit farther than is necessary for their legal exposure, and I also
think that they've done more than was necessary to protect their PR.
Sales of original UltraLites was relatively small (130,000) compared to
newer models. Just about _any_ kind of recall could have sufficed to
keep them out of legal trouble and it could have been spun in the press
releases to make NEC look like Good Customer Service People Who Care.

I think that they could just as well have said "original owners only, who
bought from NEC Authorized Dealers, please ship at your own expense, and
include $10.00 per battery to cover shipping and handling of the replacement"
and still have covered the basic legal and PR concerns.

It's easy to be cynical about customer service -- it's rare, and there are
so many counter examples. BTW, even _GM_ is learning. Check out how they
handled the recent Saturn recall.

>And while we are at it, how about a show of appreciation to Brian
>Smithson! Without this mailing-list I would be in the dark about the
>battery recall and much more.

Thanks! But really, the list is only as good as its participants. I provide
the forum, but you all provide the content.

But if you'd like to show appreciation, please send those old UltraLite
Molicels to "Batteries for Brian", PO Box 1234, ... :-)

--
-Brian Smithson
 brian@grot.starconn.com