Re: Battery...

Brian Smithson (brian@piano.grot.starconn.com)
Tue, 28 Sep 1993 07:40:53 -0700

On Sep 28, 6:53am, Eugene Levine wrote:

> We really should find a way to reward this good behavior, and not try to
> find clever ways around their minimal restrictions.

I too am impressed by NEC. My opinion of NEC's support for the old
Ultralite wasn't all that favorable in the past -- their tech support
bulletin board had nothing about the UL, and the tech support people
I talked to seemed pretty clueless. Recalling batteries which could
have been justifiably written off as "past their useful life" (at least
in terms of number of charge/discharge cycles, if not in terms of number
of years) is a good. Recognizing that it's inconvenient to send in
batteries and wait up to 60 days for a replacement is unusually thoughtful.
Throwing in $100 is great. Throwing in $100 per battery is outstanding!
I just got off the phone with NEC and found that they're even sending
pre-paid mailers.

It seems to me that NEC is doing much much more than simply covering their
corporate butt against lawsuits -- they're demonstrating customer service
at its best, and I sincerely hope that no one actually takes advantage of them.

--
-Brian Smithson
 brian@grot.starconn.com