Re: DAK is advertising again

Anthony J Stieber (anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu)
Sun, 23 Feb 92 22:08:43 CST

-> From: Meshreki@ee.udel.edu
-> Subject: Re: DAK is advertising again
->
-> I always thought what made the UltraLite unique was that there were no
-> moving (mechanical) parts, enabling lower power consumption, lighter

Actually, the Ultralite isn't unique in that regard. The Toshiba T1000
was available with a 768KB non-volitile "hard RAM drive" as were
others. The main difference being that the T1000 is larger and a
couple pounds heavier since it has a built in floppy drive. Its
display is also not backlit. What was unique about the Ultralite was
that it was an MS-DOS machine that could fit inside a briefcase and
still leave room for somthing else.

The TRS-80 Model 100 was one of the earliest machines with this kind of
design. In 1985 the 4 pound M100 could be fitted easily with 256KB of
battery backed RAM and have a spreadsheet or other software installed
on ROM. It would also cost about $3000.

In general, it seems that machines with non-volatile RAM have
been largely ignored in the market place. Very often reviews
of such machines ignore the fact that the RAM is non-volitile
and instead emphasize how cripple such a machine is with
only one or even no floppy drive.

I suspect that most people don't consider battery backed RAM as a
viable storage medium. One person I talked to said he would never
trust his data on such a computer. Personally I've lost far less data
in the non-volitile RAM of all of my various computers than in
a single floppy or hard drive failure.

--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony