Re: Fwd: PCMCIA modem (fwd)

barrym (barrym@neosoft.com)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:47:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 2 Oct 1995, Wm Joseph Eakin wrote:

> > you can select up to 9600 baud in the AOL setup window, but can only connect
> > at 2400 baud with AOL.
> >

> I am wondering too... When I use my regular 19.2 modem and set the speed
> to 9600 in the Zoomer AOL software, then dial-up, it actually says it
> connected at 9600. It does not _seem_ any faster though.

The connect 9600 message is from your modem telling you it connected with
another modem at 9600. After that, the software can slow down the speed
it uses to communicate with the modem. The computer to modem speed doesn't
have to be the same as the modem to modem speed in today's modems.
If they slowed down the AOL program in the Zoomer to 2400, and you connect
at 9600, your effective rate is 2400.

Barry