Re: Expert mode

rab@Asgard.sta.cdc.com
Wed, 6 Mar 96 11:20:53 PST

I am probably not going to make any friends here, but I feel I have to
comment:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Jack Sharp wrote:
>
> OK I went and retrieved ExpertPlus - loaded it as the instructions say
> -- and everything went kaplooey again!
> I appears that this new Zoomer (I got it from the 1-800 Tandy number
> that was posted here several weeks ago - "Hazel") -- it seems this Zoomer
> has gotten something in it making it look for a hard drive. When I reboot
> to activate the Expert Plus new configuration - the screen says something
> about "Datalight Sparkplug" Version 1.xx - then says Flash Card C=C; and
> then I get the DOS error abort/retry/fail over and over filling up the
> screen.
> The only way I can stop it is to remove All batteries again. But after
> doing that and reinstalling the batteries and rebooting that same initial
> line is in their. Does anyone know of a different ROM in some of the
> Tandy's that could be doing this, and requiring a flash card?

1. It amazes me the number of complete novices that attempt to install
something called "Expert Mode". It's called Expert Mode for a reason.
If you can't figure out how to install it, then maybe you shouldn't be
installing it.

2. Jack has never done a hard reset. I know, he claims that he has. But a
hard reset *does* clear all Zoomer memory. When you do a hard reset,
you get the message:

Storage reset sequence activated -
re-initialize the internal storage?

Press button A for YES, B for NO

All documents stored internally
will be lost if you answer YES.

Did you get the above message? I think not. The problem is that the A and
B buttons must be pushed in not just while you hit the reset button in
the battery compartment, but must remained pressed while the machine
starts to boot. Otherwise, it never knows that you were attempting a
hard reset and just does a soft reset instead.

3. There is nothing different in your Zoomer's ROM that is impeding your
installation of Expert Mode. The problem is that Expert Mode assumes
you have a RAM card and is looking for something on drive C. If you
were an expert, you would have realized this immediately.

With the help other people have given you, you should be able to continue the
installation. Good luck to you.