Re: Diet Compression Program

William Tanksley (wtanksle@ucsd.edu)
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:10:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Jake wrote:

> Hi, I recently got a program called Diet from
> http://eddie.mit.edu:80/ftp/distrib/hp95lx/compression/ it shrinks files
> and then uncompresses then when they are opened up. I have succsesfully
> dieted one .exe file. When I try to diet a .geo file it doesnt register
> on the home screen. But... I have only had this program for about 30min
> and there are a lot of different ways to compress the files so I think i
> sould be able to figure out how to sucsessfully compress the .geo files.

Good idea, but no, it won't work. Sorry.

Diet depends on the format of EXE and COM files, and a .GEO file is like
niether.

Hmm... A .GEO file is actually a little nicer, as far as compression
goes. No, you still can't use Diet or any other compressor, but it might
be possible to write a geode compressor... I wonder if I ought to spend
my time.

-Billy