Re: Oil on my screen? (fwd)

Chris Immer (immer@Magnet.FSU.EDU)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:57:08 -0400 (EDT)

What you are seeing here is not a defect of the OGO. It is a
fundamental principle of physics. What happens is that in order for
the touch sensitive screen to work, they have two pieces of
semiconducting plastic with a very thin layer of insulating fluid
between them. When the thickness of the layers get to be the same
order of magnitude of the light incident on the films this thin layer
of liquid between them causes light in interfere
constructively/destructively and you get an interference/diffraction
pattern. If you notice, the rings are milticolored, just like a
rainbow. This is the same principle that causes the light patterns in
a rainbow, a prism, and...a thin film of oil on water. This is why it
looks like there is "oil" in the OGO. The reason that you notice it
in the grocery store and not at home, or for that matter, the reason
you notice it under different lighting conditions is that different
light have different frequency spectrums. The light in grocery
stores are often halogen lamps, that have a VERY large spectrum
compared with normal incadescent lamps. Some of the wavelengths in
the halogen lamp must be the same order of magnitude as the thickness
between the films, and this wavelength is not present in the
incadescent lights. I have seen these rings most often with halogen
lights, but sometimes I can see them with fluorescent lights (which
also have a larger spectrum than incadescent).

Not to worry, there is no defect in you machine, it is a bueatiful
artifact of physics.

This effect is commonly given the name "Newton's rings". It's not
from the Apple Newton, although you see this effect on the Apple
Newton as well, it's named after the physicist Issac Newton.

Hope this helps.

--

Chris Immer Immer@magnet.fsu.edu