Re: The Omnigo and WinCE - My experiences over the past 4 years

Marc DeVinney (Marc.DeVinney@rockdal.aud.alcatel.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:16:37 -0500

John,

Do I taste sour grapes? I think your frustration in a lack of a
marketplace for PDA apps is due in part to the (lack of) marketing by HP
and other PDA vendors. It's easy for a technically-savvy user to see the
benefit of having a handheld computer that's easy to use. Unfortunately
these same users can't agree on what they want from a "PDA." The
definition spans the range of simple "little black book" replacement to
a notebook computer replacement.

Part of me hopes the Pilot is successful if for no other reason than to
legitimize the market for small utility computers. HP didn't have the
wherewithal to define the marketplace. In fact, they were so fearful
that the Ogo would die a PDA death, they avoided the term and called it
only an "electronic organizer."

BTW, I'm one of those that thinks my desktop is the "real" computer. For
me, the biggest shortcoming of the Ogo is the extent to which it has
failed to extend that desktop. I am willing to share and work with
others on this list to improve that.

MED.