Oh no, not *AGAIN*!!! (fwd)

darren@mailserver.aixssc.uk.ibm.com
Wed, 24 Apr 96 15:19:10 BST

>From: "Jeff M. Hinman" <ENGR639@kgv1.bems.boeing.com>
>
> Being a design engineer, I know there is a 26 point five foot drop test
> required for products of this sort. I don't think HP even tested this
> thing for durability. I have had great success with previous HP products
> in the past, and the poor design of the hinge in this unit surprises me.
>
> Anybody else with drop experience?

This is like Deja Vu... Prior to the OmniGo I had a PSION 3a. And
the PSION newsgroup had a *long* discussion on dropping the things.
They were pretty rugged. On landing, the battery compartment would
always spring open (batteries flying across the room etc al). This
seemed to release a lot of the kinetic energy from the drop, 'cos
actual damage would be minimal. People even dropped them (by accident
I presume) into various types of liquid (well, the local PSION crowd
does always meet at a pub) without too much damage.

Prior experience with HP (33E, 41C, 11C) shows them to be pretty much
indestructable, but the OMniGo doesn't seem to be too rugged. Time
will tell...

--
Cheers,
daZZa (Darren Marsland, BOS Group Team Leader, AIXSSC, IBM UK)