Re: batteries, cables, etc.

Gregory Urban (kragmeister@po.father.com)
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:24:09 -0400

Howdy Mark,

At 06:01 PM 8/27/96 -0400, SHIELDS@genesis.cc.duq.edu wrote:

>The good battery goes about 55 minutes, very close to the AA Renewals.
>Your hour and a half sounds better than average.

If I use the modem then the charge is drained much faster. 1.5 hrs. I
thought was quite a long time for a notebook.

>I have heard that there is a certain kind of IBM mouse extension cable
>that is the same as the serial port. Sounds to me like the poster was
>confused as all the ones I've ever seen are the ones similar to the Mac,

The PS/2 cable and Mac cables are the same, and all are quite unlike
that "RS232c" port on the NEc. Last night I ran across a Digikey catalog at
work and I could find no cables there that matched, though they do sell the
plugs. This of course requires a schematic of the pinouts to make a cable
<sigh>.

Additionally, I have a Practical Peripherals 14.4kbps pocket modem.
The port on back of the modem is the same as on the UL. I tried plugging
the cable from the modem into the port on the UL and used a DB9 gender
changer to try connecting another modem to the port. Nothing. I also tried
connecting a mouse and still nothing. I'm wondering if either the modem or
the UL has a strange pin arrangement or if the port is dead. Guess I'll
find out when/if I can find a proper UL serial cable.

>BTW, Michael says that he has never seen the parallel adapter. Lot of the
>floppy drives with the parallel port, though.

Interesting, that...

Best Regards,
Greg

===== GUNS SAVE LIVES, and that's a fact! =======
|Gregory Urban | all rights |
|kragmeister@po.father.com | reserved |
|*PGP encrypted mail prefered*| UCC-207 |

VOTE: Harry Browne, Libertarian for President

email: Campaign@HarryBrowne96.org
web: http://www.HarryBrowne96.org