Quick RS232C Question (fwd)

Sean M Burke (smburke@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Sat, 7 Mar 92 16:48:23 EST

Forwarded message:
>From strange@soc12.acpub.duke.edu Sat Mar 7 15:55:39 1992
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 92 15:55:08 -0500
Sender: ultralite-list-owner@grot.csd.mot.com
From: strange@acpub.duke.edu
Subject: Quick RS232C Question
To: sean.burke@osu.edu

I cannot convince any serial printer to print from the ultralight, whether
through the black din-to-25-pin cable, or with that and the laplink cable. I
also noticed that on the 25-pin side of the NEC adaptor cable, pin 1 looks like
it broke off or got pushed in. I see there are 9 other pins, so I am perplexed
-- is this normal?
If it IS normal, what's required to print on a serial printer that I
do not know about? I KNOW pin 1 is required for most XON/XOFF and RTS/CTS
protocol printers. Laplink and other null-modem thingies work fine, however.

Strange in Peoria,
Mike

--
     Sean M. Burke    |  sean.burke@osu.edu  |  The Ohio-State University
     My Opinions are my own.  If you like them, a lease plan is available!