Re: Small communication program

Brian Smithson (brian@king)
Mon, 29 Jul 1991 14:59:07 -0700

On Jul 28, 1:07pm, Peter Hill wrote:
> Subject: Re: Small communication program
> > Does anyone have a recommendation on a small communication pro-
> > gram with either X/Y/Z modem file transfer capability besides
> > DGTERM? I have problem downloading with it (keeps me giving error
> > and retry messages all the time). I tried with no TSR's and it
> > still didn't work.
>
> I found I can't use DGTERM with other software, i.e. the MKS toolkit.
>
> However, CONTROL-ALT-FN-DELETE and run DGTERM from a virgin DOS system,
> and it works fine. I use both XMODEM and YMODEM at 2400bps (modem) and
> 19200bps (serial connection to a Sun workstation).
>
> Is there a version of DGTERM that isn't a TSR?

> Peter Hill pfh@craycos.com +1 719 540 4259
> Cray Computer Corporation, 1110 Bayfield Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80906
>-- End of excerpt from Peter Hill

Hmmm... I've been using dgterm with MKS and have not had any trouble at all.
I have "SHELL=E:\BIN\INIT.EXE -R e:" in CONFIG.SYS (I'm running a Stacker
virtual disk as drive E) so that it prompts me to login and all of that.
I haven't put dgterm in /etc/inittab because I hate to wait for things to load
if I'm not going to use them. I just run dgterm from the /bin/sh prompt,
it says "Stopped", and then I type ALT-SHIFT-T to pop it up (I have mine set
to ALT-SHIFT-T because it makes more sense with the other yucky TSR's I use),
and everything works just fine.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in playing around with a non-TSR version.
I kind of hate TSR's in general and am (still) looking for a good application
swapper. More on that quest later.

Perhaps the author of dgterm, who just happens to work for MKS :-), can
shed some light on these problems?

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division